Sunday, February 26, 2012

Writer's Dilemma---When is the Right Time to Write?

I know that many writers are so driven that they squeeze out time for writing whenever they can: while the baby naps, tapping out a line or two on their phones while waiting for the kids, getting up early to write for an extra hour or so before work or staying up late. I don't have any of those restraints, though I do have a job and other responsibilities, I have much more time for writing than most people probably do.

Yet, I still am not very productive. There's the adage "work expands to fill the time available" and I think that's at least part of my problem.

But, here's another thing that I've realized. I get energized and ready to write about 4:00 in the afternoon. Unfortunately, that doesn't leave a lot of time if I want to make dinner or go to an evening exercise class or if I have to work then. Or I might end up working really late into the night, which isn't good if I have to work the next morning. I guess the other thing I have to acknowledge is that I just can't operate on a few hours of sleep like I used to do. Getting old sucks, but that's a whole other blog post.

One good thing that has come from this realization is that I don't beat myself up all morning if I don't get anything done. I'm trying to work with that natural creativity that seems to arrive in the late afternoon so I do other things earlier in the day and when I don't feel like doing anything at all, I tell myself it's ok because I'll pep up in a few hours.

Or, is that just an excuse to sleep in and lounge around? I suppose the fact that my productivity is not what I'd like it to be is an indication that something needs to change.

Maybe just my attitude.

What about you? When is your most productive time? How do you get geared up to write and how do you keep yourself in the chair when you'd rather be doing other things?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback. Thank you for taking the time to comment!