Friday, August 3, 2012

Author Interview---Renee Rose

Hi Everyone! Today I am happy to introduce all of you to Renee Rose, author of Loving Lucia, Betrothed, and her newest release Courting Celia.

Celeste Jones: Of all the different genres you could write in, why did you choose spanking fiction? Have you written in other genres before?


Renee Rose: I originally thought I was going to be a straight romance writer.  The trouble was, as a spanko, all the stories showed up in my head with spankings.  Since they are no longer politically correct in the romance genre, I was just editing them out.  I accidentally stumbled upon the sub-genre of spanking romance and I knew immediately that I'd found my niche.


Celeste Jones: What do you consider to be some of the challenges of writing these types of stories?


Renee Rose: When I submitted my first novella to Blushing Books, there weren't enough spankings in it to make interesting to their audience.  My editor was kind enough to work with me, suggesting that I amp up the spanking scenes by slowing them down and describing more, as well as adding a few more.   

Another interesting challenge in spanking stories is deciding how the spankings figure in the plotting.  If you follow the basic structure of the three decision points and a black moment, are the spankings the decision points, or are they just incidental (sub plot) material?  I guess it's a challenge and a blessing, really, because it gives you more material to work with...


Celeste Jones: Your three books are historical romances.  Did this require significant research? 

Renee Rose: I read a lot of historical fiction, so I already have a pretty good feel for it.  I always research the basics – buildings, clothing, food, and anything else I have questions about, but after that I don't worry too much.  I know I'm not writing the Great American Novel here.   

Celeste Jones: Do you have another book in the works? Can you tell us a bit about them?

Renee Rose: I have three in the works.  Two are already written and I'm just polishing now.  The first, No Return, is a book-length contemporary vampire tale and the second, Courting Celia, is the sequel to Loving Lucia.  I'm also in the early stages of writing a regency romance-- just call me Janie Austen! 

Celeste Jones: What is your writing day like? Do you have a set schedule for writing?

Renee Rose: Set schedule-- har har.  Very funny.  I have two little kids, so I write in snippets and interruptions any time I can sneak it in. 

Celeste Jones: Are you a pantser or a plotter?

Renee Rose: Somewhere in between.  I am trying to get better as a plotter, because I'm a pantser by nature.  Plotting is a skill I am definitely still working on. 

Celeste Jones: Is Renee Rose a pen name? If so, who in your life knows about your career as a writer of spanking fiction? Do you find it challenging to keep that part of your life a secret?


Renee Rose: Renee Rose is a pen name.  So far, only four friends and my husband know about my career.  I had a technology gaff and Facebook started publishing Renee Rose's spanking fiction reviews from Goodreads on my personal account.  I totally flipped out.  I am not ready yet to go public! 

Celeste Jones: Do you consider yourself a feminist? If so, how do you reconcile feminism and submission? 

Renee Rose: I am definitely a feminist and I am still struggling to reconcile these two parts of myself.  You could not possibly ever make me believe that a man knows more than a woman and therefore should be in charge.  Yet...submission is really, truly hot to me and I understand how domestic discipline improves marriages.  I am only just beginning to explore submission in my own bedroom, so maybe I'll come to some kind of peace about it eventually. 

Celeste Jones: What tips or advice do you have for people who might be thinking about writing spanking fiction?

Renee Rose: My personal rule is to get myself off.  I figure if I get off reading it, someone else will too.

Celeste Jones: What’s your guilty pleasure?

Renee Rose: Besides spanking?  Metaphysics.

Thanks Renee!

You can check out Renee's blog here.
Here Amazon author page here.

Read excerpts on PK's New Beginning's blog, Bright Bottom, here and Blushing Books.

12 comments:

  1. *clap clap*

    thanks for doing and posting the interview. i write some stuff (not stories tho) and understand how difficult writing can be.

    so, great job, both of you!

    PS is there a way to get your books, celeste, as a pdf version? If I dig i know i will probably find the answer somewhere on this blog, but , ok, call me lazy and just humour me would you?

    *hugs* to you both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure. Sorry. The two tech tips that I've posted on my blog are about the extent of my tech knowledge. The books are available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble and on the Discipline and Desire website. I'll check w/my publisher about pdf.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the interview, Celeste!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am amazed you can write like you do with two young children! When I am in the middle of a creative burst, such as painting etc. I find it hard to turn it off. You are very prolific!
    Thanks Celeste for interviewing RR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the same thought about the kids. Wow. Impressive, Renee!

      Delete
  4. Fun interview. Open and honest. I can imagine how you freaked when FB started publishing your GR reviews! I'm open about WHAT I do, but keep my pen name and real name separate. Enjoyed learning a little more about you, Renee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Cara. I agree on the FB glitch. I would have been spinning in circles over that for sure.

      Delete
  5. Enjoyed the interview ladies very much. Happy Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful interview, Celeste and Renee. It's always therapeutic to hear how other erotic romance (particularly spanking romance) authors deal with the whole pen name thing. I'm also always paranoid about my duel Twitter/Facebook/Goodreads etc accounts getting messed up LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That seems to be a common worry amongst the spanko set. Wouldn't it be funny, though, if it turned out that one of our vanilla friends turned out to be a big fan? Or the blogger you love turns out to be your kid's third grade teacher? LOL

      Delete

I love getting feedback. Thank you for taking the time to comment!