Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Slaying a Dragon...And It Turns Out to be a Kitten

Ever since self-publishing on Amazon became an option, I've been intrigued. But also intimidated. It seemed complicated and technical and like something I couldn't do.

I wrote a story this summer, Underwear Probation, with the intent of self-publishing it, come hell or high water, as they say. I finished the story up and got some feedback over the weekend and was ready to go.

But then I started wondering if I should send it to a publisher. They make such nice covers and handle all that technical stuff. I started to waver in my goal.

Don't worry...my husband set me straight."You said you were going to do it and you'll never know how it works out unless you try."

So I did. And you know what? It really wasn't that hard at all. Ok...I did have a couple of panic-y moments, but my husband talked me in off the ledge.

I made a cover. I think it looks pretty good, especially for my first time.

And, if all goes according to plan, the book will be available later today.

Stay tuned!

10 comments:

  1. I've just about got mine ready to go too (with no small thanks to your editing suggestions). Once I decide on the cover I think I've got it. So where did you get your cover? It has to be public domain or at least royalty free, and I'm skittish about making assumptions about some photography/artwork I see on the web. Basically, unless it was published prior to 1923, there is likely a copyright still in force.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very exciting Rollin. I sent you a couple emails w/my cover creation expertise...they were short messages. :)
      Looking forward to seeing your book on Amazon.

      Delete
  2. The cover looks great! Good job. What kind of software did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I went to Bigstockphoto.com and found the image. You can edit the images on their site and even download before you buy (still has the watermark in it) then once you buy the watermark goes away and you can continue editing.

      Delete
  3. I really like the cover! Self-pubbing intimidates me too, but I think I'd like to try it one day. The whole cover thing is what stresses me out the most too. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the cover looks great! Woo!

    I usually get photos on dreamstime.com I'll have to check out Bigstockphoto.com too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all your help and encouragement Emma!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for all your kind comments everyone.

    I'm kicking myself...I should have said the photo was a self-portrait. HA!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting feedback. Thank you for taking the time to comment!