Friday, September 20, 2013

Spanking Stories Book Club--Marked By The Alpha

Note: If you are here for the Indulgent Blog Hop click here, though you should feel free to participate in the discussion below too.
Marked by the Alpha

Welcome to the Spanking Stories Book Club. I’m your guest host, Kate Richards, and our book today is Marked by the Alpha by Adaline Raine. It can be purchased here.

 If this is your first visit, we meet here at Celeste Jones’ blog every Friday to talk about selected spanking stories.

I very much enjoyed Marked by the Alpha, a spanking-themed tale with a paranormal twist. A shifter pack has a little different dynamic than the average family…

Here’s the blurb:

Dani had always been a lone wolf and she had no desire to join a pack, but that didn’t matter to a true alpha wolf like Mason Daniels. When he finds out that human hunters have been threatening Dani, he puts his mark on her.

Unfortunately, the hunters are foolish enough to disregard his mark, and Dani is captured. After Mason and his pack rescue her from certain death, Dani is given no choice about joining Mason’s pack for her own protection. She soon learns that Mason is fully prepared to spank her bare bottom as often as is necessary to teach her to respect and obey him.

With more hunters closing in and the pack under threat, Mason begins to realize that he must claim Dani as his mate for life—whether she likes it or not—before his need for her drives him mad. At the same time, she is forced to learn her role in the pack and come to terms with her instinctual need to submit to Mason as her alpha and her mate.

 

A Few Questions

I was particularly struck by Dani’s isolation at the start of the story. Do you find her avoidance of anyone like her a strength or a weakness?

What do you think about her somewhat forceful introduction to the pack?

While Mason felt his choice to mark her was the only logical one, he made a big decision for Dani without her permission. I was a little upset by it at first…what would your reaction have been?

Mason and Dani have quite a discussion about respect…Mason wanted it and Dani informed him it must be earned. Did he earn it? And how did that sexy spanking contribute to her respect for the new wolf in her life?

 

 

12 comments:

  1. Great questions, Kate! Thank you so much for leading the discussion this week.

    I love the line "respect for the new wolf in her life". :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...I loved Dani's independence, but clearly it became a weakness. I also loved that Mason marked her for her own safety, etc and I guess I sort of enjoyed that it was non-consensual-- something about it being a paranormal makes the non-consent acceptable to me (like wolves have different rules so it's okay? LOL) and since I think non-consent is hot, it was a turn on. The sexy spanking was yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even if we deny it,most of the old fave romances had a nonconsent element, after all, what heroine agreed to being carried off by a pirate or viking...yet she always came around in the end...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this case Dani really does feel safe and protected by Mason. Her years of being alone just made her so cautious.

      Delete
  4. What I liked about it was that it drew parallels between a modern woman yearning to submit in a modern world, and of course Dani the Alpha female. Independence can be to a fault, but once you get it it's hard to yield.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are completely right, Kate. The old romances are filled with non-consent. I remember often having my blood boiling & being a bit turned on (against my will) by the Hero's high handed ways. There would be sweet moments (sometimes just flashes,) but by the end it would be an epic romance. I think that tension can work in romances. It's not the way we want it in reality, but that's why it's an escape from reality. I do think it works better in historical's or like this paranormal. It especially works with the shifter pack mentality.

    With that said I haven't read the book yet. It's on my kindle. My to read list needs to start making priority!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep...a problem I share, reading everything I'd like to. I jumped on the chance to guest host so I could make reading one a priority lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great discussion ladies!
    I definitely want to read this!
    I love paranormal!
    And I agree about the non-con being hot.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms. Deane! I am thrilled at the questions and answers here.

      Delete

I love getting feedback. Thank you for taking the time to comment!