Friday, November 21, 2014

Spanking Stories Book Club: The Coach's Discipline by Katherine Deane

Thank you to Adaline Raine for hosting this week's discussion. 

Thanks so much to Celeste Jones for letting me host the discussion on today's book, The Coach's Discipline by Katherine Deane!

There were so many amazing scenes to pick questions from so please feel free to ask and share your own.

There is an amazing spot where Nick takes Claire and blindfolds her to go on a sense walk. This is incredibly hot even though there isn't any discipline or sexual adventures it's Claire trusting him enough to keep her safe and let each of her five senses really build. There is a lot of yummy tension but the descriptions drew me in so completely that I felt like I was walking right beside the two of them in the woods.

Have you ever done something similar? It could be sensory type of play like being blind folded and having your partner try different textures on you or it could be to build one of your lesser used senses.

Think back for a moment. What does fresh cut grass remind you of? Could it be when you used to watch someone mow your lawn and remember the freedom of letting the soft strands tickle your bare feet when you ran outside later?  Or maybe you used to play softball and the field always smelled that way.

 Senses are incredible and when each one is tested and flexed like a muscle they get stronger. Our muscle memory is amazing and can bring us back to good memories as well as negative ones. Please share!

One reason I connected so deeply with both characters involved how much Nick built up Claire. There is a powerful scene where he tells her firmly that she is not her mother. Claire is trying to get him to spank her and instead they have a very tender moment. Many stories that I enjoy have the heroine struggling with something from her past. Does this help you relate more to characters or does his/her back story and past matter?

To end on a fun note tell me what type of coach you would love to hold you accountable the way that Nick holds Claire. For me I need a personal trainer/nutritionist. If I had one as dominating yet sweet like Nick I'd be in tip top shape in no time!


Thank you again for letting me come over and gush about Katherine's book. I really enjoyed the dynamic between these two characters as well as with Claire in the team. If you haven't gotten a chance to read this one yet, you should definitely give it a go!

Starting next week we'll be discussing the five books in What The Doctor Ordered a medical BDSM collection by Trent Evans, Tara Finnegan, Natasha Knight, Sue Lyndon and Casey McKay. We'll be bringing in the holdiay season with some naughty doctors and their patients! 

12 comments:

  1. What I liked about this book was how supportive Nick was of Claire. The Coach's Discipline is labeled "BDSM," but it's not of the cookie cutter variety. Nick didn't dominate as much as he supported her in helping her achieving her own goals, and then held her accountable. He truly was a coach.

    Often in DD stories, the hero lays down the law as to what he thinks is appropriate: act like lady, don't swear, don't drive too fast, etc. etc. Nick doesn't do that. He sees who Claire really is, what she wants, and he's willing to help her get there. When she falters, he applies a little tough love. He doesn't dictate to her, he cheers her on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cara :)
      I definitely saw Nick as a different kind of hero. I really shot for the empowerment, and am glad he resonated with readers.
      :)

      Delete
  2. Cara, I loved their dynamic so much there was a lot of building her up throughout the story!

    Another question I thought of involved Claire becoming a mentor to the other girls on the team. She could give so much of herself to them but couldn't see her own self worth. They adored her but she would still beat herself up. This plays out in real life all the time since we are are our own greatest critic. Do you think Nick's method helped build Claire in this regard as well?

    Great story - so many different points to talk about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Nick thought more of Claire than she thought of herself. She really needed somebody like him.

      Delete
    2. Good point, ladies.
      Sometimes, our biggest critics are ourselves, and it takes someone from outside to help us see our worth.
      That's why I loved Nick so much :)

      Delete
    3. I think so too Cara!

      Yes, Katherine, exactly!

      Delete
  3. thanks so much for talking about my book today, ladies. :) I'll check in later after home study is done. :)
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one of my favorite scenes in the book! I'm glad you reminded me of it. Sensory deprivation in romance is a fun one for me. I know the scene wasn't in the bedroom, but it was amazing to me!

    The Coach's Discipline is one of my favorite books because of how realistic Claire is. Her story is one that makes you feel the gamut of emotions and you find yourself rooting so hard for her. Nick is the perfect man in my opinion! I am being pulled out the door by my family! I will finish my reply later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Corinne!
      :)

      Delete
    2. It is so realistic and I ran those emotions the whole way through. I'm so glad you stopped by! :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for posting on facebook! I totally missed this!

    I've never been on a sense walk, but I do like a blindfold once in a while when we're getting kinky. It really does heighten the other senses and it can be a little scary and also really force you to trust your partner. The sense walk in this book was so sweet and cute and I love that it brought Nick and Claire closer together.

    I think Nick is the sweetest! He could be my coach any day, but not for marathon training... I hate running. Well then maybe he would just spank me. Hmm...

    I like a hero/heroine with a back story. It makes them more relatable and don't we all have stuff in the past that makes us who we are today? Even if it is not something I have personally experienced it always makes me feel like I know the character more by knowing where they came from.

    I really loved this book! Great questions Addy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I missed your comment! Yes, I think Nick is really sweet as well and I loved the sense walk for a lot of reasons. They are very cute together! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting feedback. Thank you for taking the time to comment!